Header

Welcome!


From street foods of New York City to meals cooked by me and my wife, Into the Mouth of Corbo will will be a place to review and share the delicious foods that I am eating.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Garbage Plates from Nick Tahou


This past weekend I was up in Rochester, NY for a friend's wedding.  The drive was long but the one thing that kept me going strong was the memory of a magical food known only to the locals.  It was time for me to share the greatness known as a Garbage Plate with my wife and friend for the first time.  I was first introduced to garbage plates when I was in college in Syracuse. I used to visit a friend who went to RIT and he took me out one night. A little worried by the name, my friend assured me that it was good and not to let the name scare me.

What is it?
The garbage plate is a mix of a few different types of food, all thrown together into one heaping plate.  First you'll need to choose what type of garbage plate you want.  Your choices are: Cheeseburger, Italian Sausage, Hamburger, Grilled Cheese, Red Hot Dog, Fried Ham, White Hot Dog, Fish Fry, Chicken or Veggie Plate. My friend and I went with the Cheeseburger and my wife ordered the Chicken.  Your next choice is the sides.  There are a few opinions online about what and how many sides to get but the safe bet is to go with two.  The options are Home Fries, French Fries, Macaroni Salad and Baked Beans.  The three of us got the Home Fries and Macaroni Salad.  Last but not least, you need a topping: Mustard, Onions and Hot Sauce (This is not your typical tobasco type sauce.  It is more like a beef chili and interestingly enough, it isn't spicy).  I recommend getting all three toppings unless you have a serious aversion to something.  All of this goodness is piled together for your enjoyment and served with a side of bread and butter.

As weird as some of these combinations may sound, a garbage plate from Nick Tahou is a must try if you're ever in the area.  The hot cheeseburger paties mixed with the cool macaroni salad and spicy brown mustard is just a great combination.  I cannot wait for my next excuse to head to Rochester for another garbage plate.  Hmmmmm, you know, it is ONLY a five hour drive...

--------------------------------------
Nick Tahoe Hots
Website: www.garbageplate.com



320 W. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14608
585-436-0184

3070 West Henrietta Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623
585-272-1182

No comments:

Post a Comment