Header

Welcome!


From street foods of New York City to meals cooked by me and my wife, Into the Mouth of Corbo will will be a place to review and share the delicious foods that I am eating.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cooking at home - Fried Oreos

In addition to my various restaurant & food truck visits, I would also like to use this blog to talk about what my wife and I are making at home. We are married for about a year and a half now and we love to cook. So we tend to grab a cookbook or just look inside the fridge and see what we can do. I haven't really decided on what to write about though. Just telling you I made a delicious meal doesn't really benefit the reader. Or does it? I've also considered throwing up the recipes for some of the dishes. Is there any interest in that? Being I am still trying to figure that all out, I chose a very simple, yet delicious first posting: Fried Oreos. So many times, I've been to fairs or festivals that have offered up this tasty treat and it wasn't until our honeymoon, at our favorite restaurant, that we had our first fried Oreo dessert. It was incredible! Ever since, agendas we had the opportunity, we took a moment to enjoy the fried goodness. If you've never had a fried Oreo, I highly recommend it. The cream becomes just the slightest bit melted while surrounded by a warm chocolate cookie which is finally engulfed in a batter and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Sounds good, right?!

So one night my wife and I decided that we didn't have to wait for the next state fair, we could do it ourselves. Basically, it is just an Oreo dipped in pancake batter and then lightly fried in oil. Although I don't have the exact recipe on me at the moment, you can take your favorite pancake mix and go to town. I would recommend making it a little thinner than the recipe calls for though. The most important step is to make sure your oil is very hot. If the oil is too cold, the oil won't cause the steam necessary which will ultimately allows more oil to seep into your cookie. That would not only be more unhealthy but would also taste pretty bad. I counted roughly 5-6 seconds on each side for a nice golden brown. I used a pair of cooking chopsticks for the flipping and a metal slotted spoon for extracting.


Place the recently fried Oreos onto a cooling rack over a cookie sheet to allow them to cool evenly and not sit in any excess oil. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy! These shouldn't be mouth burning hot but be careful. They are best served right away so don't make too many too fast or you will end up with a pile of wasted Oreos.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment